Nine things you need to know about this week's consultation on housing need, including an 'ambition' to publish a revised National Planning Policy Framework by Spring 2018, proposals to strengthen cross-boundary planning, changes intended to streamline viability assessments and plans to make section 106 agreements more transparent.
The publication earlier this month of the details of the government's proposed standard methodology for assessing housing need immediately prompted warnings that the formula would lead to the loss of land from the green belt.
The government's proposed approach to assessing housing need means that the outputs of its proposed formula could change dramatically during the preparation of a local plan, an analysis by Planning indicates.
Click through to view an interactive map showing how the outputs of the government's proposed standard methodology for assessing housing need would differ from current assessments of local need.
The housing ministry is set to introduce a revised standard housing need method. But commentators say areas in the Greater South East that would experience the biggest increase in housing need are likely to struggle to meet their much higher targets, while authorities in the north would still be subject to requirements that are too low.
The delay to the promised consultation draft of the National Planning Policy Framework has set back plans to introduce a standard method for local housing need assessments.
Responses to the government's proposed standard approach to assessing local housing need have welcomed the proposal as enabling a speedier process of plan preparation, but there are concerns that it fails to take account of aspirations for economic growth in parts of the country.
- Planning Officer Elmbridge Borough Council Esher, Surrey
- Various Planning Roles Folkestone & Hythe District Council Folkestone, Kent
- Urban Design Officer London Borough of Bromley Bromley (City/Town), London (Greater)
- X2 Senior/Principal Enforcement Officers - OUTSIDE IR35 Vivid Resourcing Gloucestershire
- Senior Planner – Development Manager Medway Council Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
- Planner Policy & DM Medway Council Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
- Assistant Director - Growth & Housing Wigan Council Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Town Planners Pegasus Planning Group Limited BIRMINGHAM | CIRENCESTER | NEWCASTLE
- Senior Planner Green Planning Studio Limited Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- Associate Director (Planning) Green Planning Studio Limited Shrewsbury, Shropshire