Nine things you need to know about this week's consultation on housing need, including an 'ambition' to publish a revised National Planning Policy Framework by Spring 2018, proposals to strengthen cross-boundary planning, changes intended to streamline viability assessments and plans to make section 106 agreements more transparent.
The publication earlier this month of the details of the government's proposed standard methodology for assessing housing need immediately prompted warnings that the formula would lead to the loss of land from the green belt.
The government's proposed approach to assessing housing need means that the outputs of its proposed formula could change dramatically during the preparation of a local plan, an analysis by Planning indicates.
Click through to view an interactive map showing how the outputs of the government's proposed standard methodology for assessing housing need would differ from current assessments of local need.
Planning's June update of councils' housing land supply positions reveals that nearly a third of the country’s planning authorities have either published a new housing land supply position or had a figure decreed for their area at appeal since the last iteration of our Housing Land Supply Index.
A council has adopted a local plan after a nine-year preparation process, despite identifying a 500-home shortfall in its planned housing supply.
What the proposal to scrap the five-year housing land supply target for up-to-date plans will mean for councils and developers
The government’s proposed removal of the five-year housing land requirement supply for councils with up-to-date local plans could see almost half of all English local authorities benefit, Planning research suggests. Observers say the move will incentivise more authorities to get plans in place, but examining inspectors are likely to take a tougher line on the deliverability of proposed housing targets and site allocations.
- Principal Development Officer (Planning Control) Bolton Council Bolton, Greater Manchester
- Development Officer - Planning Control (Career Grade) Bolton Council Bolton, Greater Manchester
- Corporate Head of Planning & Regulatory Services Winchester City Council Winchester, Hampshire
- Head of Strategic Planning Oxfordshire County Council. Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Operations Manager Rushcliffe Borough Council West Bridgford, Nottingham
- Service Manager Rushcliffe Borough Council West Bridgford, Nottingham
- Career Graded Planning Policy Officer Cherwell DC Banbury, Oxfordshire
- Development Management Team Leader Varnom Ross Central England
- Senior Planning Officer Varnom Ross Surrey
- Planning Services Manager Varnom Ross South West