10 things you need to know about yesterday's National Planning Summit, including details of how ministers intend to respond to Lords amendments to the Housing and Planning Bill's Starter Homes provisions and the latest news on the review of the Community Infrastructure Levy.
Moves by the House of Lords to amend the government's Starter Homes proposals will be strongly resisted by the government, planning minister Brandon Lewis said today.
The chair of an independent panel set up by the government to review the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) has said that the levy is 'not providing a huge amount of funding for infrastructure' and has failed to provide a 'faster, simpler, more transparent system' than section 106.
Britain is 'nowhere near' needing to build new towns in the countryside and the focus instead should be on driving up development density in urban areas, architect Lord Richard Rogers has said.
The UK has not been good at developing a long-term strategy for infrastructure, tending to plan too late, think in silos and under invest, the chief executive of the National Infrastructure Commission has told delegates at the National Planning Summit.
The government must not 'cherry pick' recommendations from a recent report on how the local plan-making process could be made more efficient and effective and instead adopt the suggested measures as a package, delegates at today's National Planning Summit heard.
The government's 2017 local plan deadline has prompted Greater Manchester planning chiefs to seek approval from Whitehall to 'push the boundaries' of an emerging spatial framework so that it can fulfil the function of a local plan for all of the conurbation's constituent authorities, the National Planning Summit has heard.
It is 'inconceivable that housing needs can ever be satisfied without public housing growth', a partner at consultancy David Lock Associates told the National Planning Summit yesterday.
Housing need alone is not a strong enough reason to justify altering green belt boundaries, a countryside campaigner claimed at the National Planning Summit today.
Planning's rolling coverage of the National Planning Summit 2016, including keynote speeches from planning minister Brandon Lewis and architect Lord Rogers.
Housing and planning minister Brandon Lewis talks to Planning's editor Richard Garlick at the National Planning Summit 2016.
Planning reporter Susie Sell interviews National Infrastructure Commission chief executive Phil Graham.
- Planning Officer Elmbridge Borough Council Esher, Surrey
- Various Planning Roles Folkestone & Hythe District Council Folkestone, Kent
- Urban Design Officer London Borough of Bromley Bromley (City/Town), London (Greater)
- X2 Senior/Principal Enforcement Officers - OUTSIDE IR35 Vivid Resourcing Gloucestershire
- Senior Planner – Development Manager Medway Council Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
- Planner Policy & DM Medway Council Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
- Assistant Director - Growth & Housing Wigan Council Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Town Planners Pegasus Planning Group Limited BIRMINGHAM | CIRENCESTER | NEWCASTLE
- Senior Planner Green Planning Studio Limited Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- Associate Director (Planning) Green Planning Studio Limited Shrewsbury, Shropshire