With plans for hundreds of thousands of new homes resting on the delivery of Crossrail 2, the transport secretary’s decision to shelve its financial support for the project is likely to have significant impacts on planning both in and beyond the capital, say observers.
Plans for a new eco-friendly High Speed Two (HS2) station in Solihull have been approved, despite concerns about the scheme's potential impact on a nearby regeneration scheme and on lighting levels in the area.
The High Court has dismissed a judicial review challenge to a decision by the firm delivering the High Speed Two (HS2) rail project to select a preferred design option for part of the HS2 route through central London that a homeowner claimed would violate her human rights.
Transport secretary Grant Shapps has granted consent for a new dual carriageway on green belt land on the edge of Birmingham as part of an upgrade to junction six of the M42, after concluding that the project would help improve access to the city's airport and support the development of a new High Speed Two (HS2) train station.
A government move to encourage councils to reallocate road space for walking and cycling will bolster the implementation of local plan policies designed to encourage sustainable transport and tackle climate change, the Planning Officers Society (POS) has said.
Birmingham City Council has granted consent for the city’s proposed High Speed Two (HS2) terminal in its first 'virtual' planning committee meeting, with officers describing the new station's design as "world class".
Since, broadly speaking, the distant consequences of actions are more uncertain than the immediate consequences, it is seldom justifiable to embark on any policy on the ground that, though harmful in the present, it will be beneficial in the long run.”
With news that a third runway at Heathrow is being delayed, pretty much all the country's largest infrastructure projects are having problems of one sort or another.
In furtherance of a pledge made by Boris Johnson during his leadership campaign, the government has launched a review of HS2. Does that mean it is the beginning of the end of the project?
Headlines earlier this month such as 'Heathrow third runway gets go-ahead from Chris Grayling' (Guardian) and 'Heathrow expansion gets green light from government as transport secretary Chris Grayling hails "historic moment"' (City AM) may have given you the impression that construction was now able to start on the new runway.
- Planning Officer Elmbridge Borough Council Esher, Surrey
- Various Planning Roles Folkestone & Hythe District Council Folkestone, Kent
- Urban Design Officer London Borough of Bromley Bromley (City/Town), London (Greater)
- X2 Senior/Principal Enforcement Officers - OUTSIDE IR35 Vivid Resourcing Gloucestershire
- Senior Planner – Development Manager Medway Council Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
- Planner Policy & DM Medway Council Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
- Assistant Director - Growth & Housing Wigan Council Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Town Planners Pegasus Planning Group Limited BIRMINGHAM | CIRENCESTER | NEWCASTLE
- Senior Planner Green Planning Studio Limited Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- Associate Director (Planning) Green Planning Studio Limited Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Key planning stages reached by Nationally Significant Infrastructure Projects between June and August 2020
The government's announcement of support for the High Speed Two project after months of uncertainty signals the resumption of years' worth of determining applications for local authorities and opportunities for consultants, say observers.
Some key areas of unfinished business face the new Conservative government. Below, we outline seven of the most significant tasks.
The key changes to how local authorities charge, collect and report on developer contributions, and their implications. Mark Wilding reports.