New 2016-based household projections for England
News and analysis on the impact of the publication of new household formation data.
Significantly reduced household projections are likely to delay emerging local plans, but local planning authorities fighting appeals may benefit from boosts to their housing land supply figures, say observers.
The UK's independent national statistical institute intends to produce an alternative version of its 2016-based household projection figures, which triggered a huge drop in England's assessed housing need when they were published last week, before the end of the year.
Future annual housing need in England will be about 25 per cent lower than previously envisaged, following the publication last week of the 2016-based household projections. That is the broad consensus of various consultants who have spoken to Planning in recent days.
A Merseyside council has claimed that the publication of updated household projections has seen their housing requirement drop by almost a quarter and made it 'difficult, if not impossible' to produce a legally robust local plan .
A North West council threatened with central government intervention in its local plan process is seeking to row back on proposals to release almost 50 green belt sites for homes in the wake of new household projections that it says has slashed its housing need.
Analysis: New projections wipe out housing need in Oxford and Cambridge under standard method, experts say
Authorities such as Oxford and Cambridge would see their entire housing requirement wiped out if the government's standard method is applied to today's new household projections, experts say.
The number of households in England is set to increase at an average annual rate of 159,000 over the next 25 years - a drop of almost a quarter compared to the previous estimates, new government figures show.
- Various Planning Roles Folkestone & Hythe District Council Folkestone, Kent
- Urban Design Officer London Borough of Bromley Bromley (City/Town), London (Greater)
- X2 Senior/Principal Enforcement Officers - OUTSIDE IR35 Vivid Resourcing Gloucestershire
- Senior Planner – Development Manager Medway Council Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
- Planner Policy & DM Medway Council Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
- Assistant Director - Growth & Housing Wigan Council Wigan, Greater Manchester
- Town Planners Pegasus Planning Group Limited BIRMINGHAM | CIRENCESTER | NEWCASTLE
- Team Leader Plan Making and Infrastructure - Spatial Planning Ashford Borough Council Ashford, Kent
- Senior Planner Green Planning Studio Limited Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- Associate Director (Planning) Green Planning Studio Limited Shrewsbury, Shropshire