Development Management Answers
Put your question to Planning readers and our resident expert. Answer questions posed by your peers.
Ask a question
Current questions - can you help?
Q The operator of car repair garage wants part of its site to be set aside for hand car washing. Customers would drive onto the premises and pay to have their cars washed and valeted, irrespective of whether they are having their car repaired or not. Could this be considered as ancillary to the existing use as a garage and planning permission would not be required for the additional use? MN
Q My client recently lost an appeal against a notice requiring removal of a dormer on a house. The inspector varied the notice to allow retention of a small increase in the height of the eaves carried out as part of the works. My client now wishes to build a dormer complying with permitted development (PD) requirements. The council argues that PD allowance has been lost as a result of the unauthorised dormer and, in any event, the original eaves would not be restored. In my view, PD rights were regained once the dormer was removed and the eaves must only be restored on the side on of the proposed new dormer. Do you agree? DH
Answer or comment online at planningresource.co.uk/dmanswers or by emailing email@example.com by Friday 21 June
Previous answers to development management queries
- Enforcement Officer Medway Council Chatham, Kent
- Planning Officer (Career Grades) Sevenoaks District Council Sevenoaks, Kent
- Specialist Planning Officer Development Management Wokingham Borough Council Shute End Offices, Wokingham Borough Council
- Planner Medway Council Chatham, Kent
- Senior Planner - South West - Mixed Caseload Oyster Partnership South West England