The site contained a flat-roofed two-storey office block dating from the 1970s joined on to a redbrick villa dating from around 1900 surrounded by an expanse of asphalt used for car parking. The inspector found that this incongruous combination formed a dismal and empty structure. By contrast, he considered that the hipped roofs, gables and dormer windows of the 60 planned apartments would introduce variety and reflect some traditional local features. He also held that nearby residents' outlook and amenity would not be adversely affected.
DCS No: 100039085; Inspector: David Cullingford; Written representations.