The church had been built in 1907 and had been designed in the Gothic style, with red brick walls, stone dressings, steeply pitched plain clay tiled roofs and with an octagonal lantern and spire. Introducing 36 solar panels on the main roof would contrast awkwardly with the shape and appearance of the plain clay tiles. Although the works would be reversible the impact would be experienced for many years, an inspector determined. They would also diminish the contribution the church made to the character of the conservation area. However, the inspector determined that siting 16 panels on a single storey outbuilding would be acceptable and this element of the scheme was allowed.
Inspector: Neil Pope; Written representations