The site had been quarried to a shallow depth in the mid-20th century under a permission issued in 1948. That permission authorised the restoration of each part of the site after quarrying had ceased. A letter from a planning officer in 1981 confirmed that the site had been largely worked out and restored, the inspector noted. In his opinion the site had already been rehabilitated in accordance with the permission, noting that it was covered in long grass and weeds. It was not appreciably different from that of under-ultilised grazing land. Raising it by about one metre would inevitably change its appearance and the landform, and in his opinion involved an engineering operation which required permission.
Inspector: Stephen Hawkins; Written representations