The Examiner's report was issued to Leicester City Council on 16 December 2015. The Examiner found unless modifications were made the CIL draft charging schedule would not provide an appropriate basis for the collection of the levy in the city.
The Examiner recommend two modifications that would overcome the drafts deficiencies so that the charging schedule could be approved. The modifications are:
- Reduce the rate for student accomodation from £100 per m2 down to a nil rate.
- Amend the maps so that it is clear that ther is a nil rate for residential developments in one zone.
Leicester City Council had published its CIL preliminary draft charging schedule for consultation between 28 May 2014 and 10 July 2014. The preliminary draft had proposed a rate of £100 per m2 for hotel developments that was removed in the draft.
Leicester City Council then published its CIL draft charging schedule for a public consultation between 9 February 2015 and 10 March 2015. The draft charging schedule differed from the previous preliminary draft in that it no longer proposed to charge for hotel developments.
Approved rates include:
- Two residential charging zones with rates of £25 and £0 per m2.
- Supermarket and retail warehouse developments will be charged £150 per m2.
- Distribution developments will be charged £10 per m2.
- No charge for all other uses.