The Examiner's report on the Mid Suffolk District Council CIL revised draft charging schedule was issued on 15 December 2015. The Examiner found that, provided that modifications are made, the charging schedule is sound and would provide an appropriate basis for the collection of the levy in the district. The recommended modifications include:
- Reducing the rates for small scale residential developments in two zones from £165 and £125 per m2 down to £115 and £75 per m2.
- Reducing the rate for large scale residential developments in one zone from £75 per m2 down to £50 per m2.
- Replace references to 'assisted living' with 'specialist older persons housing'.
- Remove references to floor space from the residential rates.
- Remove references to use classes for the 'all other uses' nil rate.
The preliminary draft charging schedule was published by Mid Suffolk District Council and Babergh District Council as a Joint CIL prelimnary draft charging schedule. The preliminary draft was available for consultation between 21 May 2014 and 4 July 2014. The preliminary draft charging schedule had similar rates to the draft but identified only one strategic site in Mid Suffolk where residential rates would not apply.
Mid Suffolk District Council had then published its CIL draft charging schedule for consultation between 10 November 2014 and 24 December 2014.
The draft charging schedule had identified more strategic sites where residential rates would not be charged which carried over to the revised draft as well as clarifying that assisted living housing developments will not be charged.
Mid Suffolk District Council had published a CIL revised draft charging schedule for consultation between 16 January 2015 and 13 February 2015. The Council expect for the examination in public to occur in 2015.
The revised draft charging schedule increased the proposed rates in low value zone so that large residential developments would be charged £75 per m2 as opposed to the £50 per m2 charge in earlier drafts. Also in the low value zone the proposed rate for small scale residential developments increased from £75 to £125 per m2.
The revised draft charging schedule split the residential rates from one rate for residential development at £115 per m2, into two rates of £165 per m2 for small scale residential developments and £115 per m2 for large scale residential developments.
Mid Suffolk District Council had submitted their CIL revised draft charging schedule for examination 18 March 2015. An examination hearing was the held on 18 June 2015.
Approved rates include:
- Three residential charging zones for large housing developments with rates of £115, £50 and £0 per m2.
- Three residential charging zones for small housing developments with rates of £115, £75 and £0 per m2.
- Specialist older persons housing developments will not be charged.
- Wholly or mainly convenience retail developments will be charged £100 per m2.
- No charge for all other uses.