The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames has resolved to adopt its CIL charging schedule at a meeting of its Full Council that was held on 13 October 2015. The levy will come into effect in the Borough from 1 November 2015.
The London Mayoral CIL also applies in this Borough with an additional rate of £35 per m2 for all types of development excluding those used for medical, health and education services which will be not be charged.
The preliminary draft charging schedule was published for a consultation that had taken place between 2 April 2013 and 14 May 2013.
The preliminary draft charging schedule would not have had specific rates for care home, retirement home or extra care housing developments. Student housing developments would have been cheaper in the preliminary draft with a proposed charge of £50 per m2.
The charge for convenience based supermarket, superstore and retail warehouse developments would have been more expensive in the preliminary draft with a rate of £250 per m2. All other retail development (A1 - A5) would have been more expensive overall with rates of £250 and £20 per m2.
Kingston upon Thames Council then published their CIL draft charging schedule for a consultation that ran between 10 January 2014 and 7 March 2014.
The Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames Council had submitted their CIL draft charging schedule for examination on 22 June 2015. Examination hearings were then held on3 September 2015.
The Examiner's report was issued to Kingston upon Thames on 5 October 2015. The Examiner had found that, provided two modifications were made, the draft charging schedule would provide an appropriate basis for the collection of the levy in the Borough.
The modifications were:
- To produce a map to show the residential charging zones.
- Make changes and remove text to make the document clearer.
Adopted rates include:
- Four residential charging zones with rates of £210, £130, £85 and £50 per m2.
- Two care and retirement home charging zones with rates of £50 and £20 per m2.
- Extra care housing developments are to be charged £20 per m2.
- Student accommodation developments are to be charged £220 per m2.
- Convenience based supermarket, superstore and retail warehouse developments are to be charged £200 per m2.
- Two charging zones for all other retail with rates of £200 and £20 per m2.
- Public service and community facility related developments will not be charged.
- All other uses will be charged £20 per m2.