Herefordshire District Council formally decided to adopt its Core Strategy at a meeting of its Council held on 16 October 2015. The Core Strategy will set the strategic vision for the development in the Borough between 2011 and 2031.
Herefordshire District Council had published their pre-submission draft Core Strategy for a consultation that took place between 22 May 2014 and 3 July 2014.
The Council then submitted their plan for examination on 23 September 2014. Examination hearings were then held between 10 February 2015 and 25 February 2015.
As a result of the hearings the Council published a schedule of main modifications to the Core Strategy which was available for consultation between 20 March 2015 and 1 May 2015.
On 18 June 2015 the SoS published a written ministerial statement on wind energy developments. As a result of that statement the Inspector wrote to the Council advising the Council to produce a further main modification. A consultation on the additional main modification published by the Council was held between 13 July 2015 and 10 August 2015.
The Core Strategy for Herefordshire District Council was approved by the Inspector on 29 September 2015. The Inspector's report on the Herefordshire draft Core Strategy had found that, provided that a number of modifications were made, the plan provided an appropriate basis for the planning of the District. The modifications recommended by the Inspector had all been proposed by the Council.
The modifications included:
- Removing the Minerals and waste policies from the Core Strategy, and replace with information about the preparation of a separate plan.
- Replacement policy and new appendices addressing the relationship between critical infrastructure, delivery and monitoring.
- Revise and update the housing trajectory.
- Modify a number of policies so they are not overly restrictive and to provide clarity.
- Change Wind Power and housing standards policies to bring into line with the written ministerial statements from the SoS.
- Changes to retail and affordable housing thresholds.
- Clarify the role of neighbourhood plans and other development plans.
- Changes to wording to bring the plan into line with the NPPF.