The Mendip Local Plan Part 1 was adopted at a meeting of Mendip District Council's Full Council on 15 December 2014. The Local Plan Part 1 will set the strategic vision for the development in the District between 2006 and 2029.
The pre-submission Local Plan Part 1 then known as a core strategy was published by Mendip District Council for consultation between 29 November 2012 and 24 January 2013. The Plan was then submitted along with a schedule of minor modifications for examination on 9 December 2013.
An Inspector was then appointed and hearing sessions were held between 31 March and 14 April 2014. The Inspector then issued his initial recommendations on 19 May 2014. The recommendations included the publishing of proposed main modifications for consultation.
On 20 June 2014 Mendip District Council published its Schedule of Main Modifications as well as their second Schedule of Minor Modifications. The schedules of modifications were available for consultation until 4 August 2014.
The Inspector's report had found on 2 October 2014 that the Mendip Local Plan Part 1 was sound provided a number of modifications were made. Most of the modifications had been proposed by the Council but some were amended by the Inspector. Proposed modifications include:
- Change the housing figures so that they are to be used as the minimum
- Extending the life of the plan to 2029
- Additional sites for housing including the possibility of some Green Gap and greenfield
- Updates to the plan since submission
- Extending starategic sites and ensure phasing policies do not apply to them
- Adition of references to self build and specialist housing
- Clarification that locals only policy only applies to specific rural sites
- Changes to retail policy
- Introduction of a flood risk management policy