The Examiner's report concludes that the Hackney London Borough Council CIL draft charging schedule provides an appropriate basis for the collection of the levy in the borough, provided that a modification is made. Following approval by the Council the modified draft charging schedule will be implemented from 1 April 2015. The recommended modification is:
- Simplify the table of rates and remove matters not relevent to the charging schedule.
The preliminary draft charging schedule was published for consultation between 7 May 2013 and 17 June 2013. The preliminary draft had a higher charge of £74 as opposed to the £50 per m2 for office developments in subsequent drafts.
The draft charging schedule was then published on 15 January 2014, for a consultation that ended on 26 February 2014. This draft increased the charge for large format retail developments from £65 to £150 per m2. This draft also split the charge of £65 per m2 for hotel developments into two charging zones with rates of £80 and £55 per m2.
Hackney Council has submitted its CIL draft charging schedule for examination on 17 July 2014. The examination hearing was then held on 29 October 2014.
Approved rates include:
- Four residential charging zones with rates of £190, £55, £25 and £0 per m2.
- Student accommodation developments are to be charged £373 per m2.
- Two hotel development charging zones with rates of £80 and £55 per m2.
- Two office charging zones with rates of £50 and £0 per m2.
- Large format retail developments are to be charged £150 per m2.
- Two retail charging zones with rates of £65 and £0 per m2.
- No charge for all other uses.