The Examiner's report concluded that the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea CIL draft charging schedule will be sound provided modifications are made. And in addition to these changes the Examiner recommended that an early review should be undertaken by the Council to reflect changes in the Borough and to the local planning policy reviews. The examiner's recomendations were:
- To add an extra are charging a nil rate for all development types as it has been defined as a strategic site.
- To reduce the charge of £20 per m2 for extra care housing in two areas to a nil rate.
The preliminary draft charging schedule was published on 23 January 2013 for a consultation that until 20 February 2013. The main difference to submitted draft was there was no nil rate for development in the Earls Court zone in the preliminary draft.
The preliminary draft had proposed overall lower residential development rates splint into six charging zones with rates of £650, £500, £370, £230, £150 and £100 per m2. The charges for extra care housing, hotel and student accommodation have remained the same apart from the nil rate in Earls Court zone.
The draft charging schedule was published for consultation between 21 January 2014 and 23 February 2014. The draft had the same rates as the submitted draft including adding the nil rate charging zone.
The Council had submitted its CIL draft charging schedule for examination on 31 March 2014. Examination hearings were then held on 9 June 2014 and 14 October 2014.
Approved rates include:
- Seven residential charging zones with rates of £750, £590, £430, £270, £190, £110 and £0 per m2.
- Five extra care accommodation charging zones with rates of £510, £230, £300, £160, and £0 per m2.
- Hotel developments are to be charged £160 per m2.
- Student accommodation developments are to be charged £125 per m2.
- No charge for all commercial or industrial uses.
- No charge for all other uses.