Richmondshire District Council adopted their Core Strategy on 9 December 2014 The plann covers all parts of the District outside the Yorkshire Dales National Park and will set the strategic vision for the development in the District between 2012 and 2028.
The preposed submission draft of the Core Strategy was published for public consultation in August 2012. The Strategy was then submitted for examination on 25 January 2013. The Inspector then requested Richmondshire District Council review their housing targets in August 2013 following the publication of the national population projections. Richmondshire District Council undertook a development target review.
The examination hearings were held between 11 and 14 February 2014. As a result of these hearings Richmondshire District Council has publised it's core strategy modifications for consultation from 17 June until 29 July 2014.
The Inspector report published on 20 October 2014 had found that the Richmondshire Core Strategy is sound provided that modifications were made. The modifications had all been proposed by Richmondshire District Council. The modifications recommended by the Inspector include:
- Listing the policies the strategy superseeds
- Clarification of land allocations, approach to undefined settlement limits and approach to flood risk
- Ensuring there is clarity in the approach to neighbouring countryside and extending the area of a strategic sites development
- Making development sustainable in regards of mineral and waste policies and effective land use, but make the plan take into account viabilty in consideration to the code for sustainable homes and BREEAM standards
- Not specifying housing requirment as a maximum
- Changes to the plans relation to the military so that the number of military homes is reduced and syncing the review cycle with that of the defence review cycle
- Clarification of affordable home and gypsy and traveller policies
- Changes to Town centre and retail policys
- Clarification of water infrastructure policies and prevention of the deterioration of water bodies
- Attempt to maximise renewable energy opertunities while seeking to ensure the impact on the landscape is in line with national policy and guidance
- Ensure that the impact on cultural assets is a consideration