The Inspector has found that the Wiltshire Core Strategy is sound provided that modifications are made. The majority of the modifications had been proposed by Wiltshire council.
The modifications cover a wide range of matters and include
- An increase in the minimum number of houses to be provided over the plan period, from 37,000 to at least 42,000 and revisions to their distribution;
- A commitment to partially review the Core Strategy to enable an adequate development plan basis for decision making over the plan period to 2026;
- A commitment to produce additional Development Plan Documents to ensure the effective delivery of necessary development. Such documents will include a Housing Sites Allocation DPD, a Gypsy and Traveller DPD based upon updated needs evidence and a Chippenham Site Allocation DPD;
- The creation of two different affordable housing targets across the county to reflect development viability;
- Clarification of the approach to be taken towards renewable energy to be consistent with national policy;
- Clarity of the approach to be taken towards natural and heritage assets to be effective and consistent with national policy.