The Examiner's report recieved on 19 November 2014 recommends that subject to two modifications are made the draft charging schedule provides an appropriate basis for the collection of the levy in the area outside of South Downs National Park. The modifications required to make the charging schedule viable are:
- Introduction of a nil rate for residential developments in low value areas.
- Excluding ancillary car parking areas from the retail charge.
The preliminary draft charging schedule had been published by Worthing Borough Council for consultation between 30 January 2013 and 13 March 2013. The preliminary draft differed from the approved charging schedule in that it did not specify that residential developments rates were for the use class C3, or having nil rates for low value areas.
The preliminary draft had also proposed a rate of £30 per m2 for industrial developments (B1b, B1c B2 and B8) that was subsequently dropped from later drafts.
The draft charging schedule was then published by Worthing Borough Council for another round of consultation between 6 March 2014 and 17 April 2014. The draft had prposed just two flat rates with a charge of £100 per m2 for all C3 residential developments, and a charge of £150 per m2 for all A1-5 retail developments.
Proposed rates including Examiner's modifications:
- Two residential developments (C3) charging zones with rates of £100 and £0 per m2.
- Retail developments (A1-5) will be charged £150 per m2.
- No charge for all other uses.