The Examiner's report has recommended that the CIL draft charging schedule provides an appropriate basis for the collection of the levy in the Borough but some modifications would need to be made. Wokingham Borough Council now to implement CIL in April 2015. The Examiner's recommendations include:
- Reducing the charge for residential institutions and extra care housing from £110 to £60 per m2.
- Introducing a residential development type for sheltered housing with four strategic development location zones with rates of £300, £320, £340 and £365 per m2 and a charge of £150 per m2 for the rest of the borough.
- Extending the area the nil rate for retail developments covers.
The preliminary draft charging schedule had been published by Wokingham Borough Council for consultation between 4 April 2013 and 16 May 2013. The preliminary draft had proposed just one rate for residential developments with a charge of £365 per m2 and a nil rate for everything else.
The draft charging schedule was then published for consultation between 29 January 2014 and 14 March 2014. The draft introduced a charge for retail developments outside existing centres of £50 per m2. The draft also preposed the charge of £100 per m2 for residential institutions and extra care housing which was later reduced by the Examiner.
The draft proposed having differential residential rates for strategic development locations that were later approved by the Examiner. But the rest of borough residential charge of £365 per m2 would also have applied to sheltered housing developments which was later lowered to £150 per m2.
The draft charging schedule as published in January 2014 was then submitted for examination on 12 June 2014. The Examination hearings were then held on 18 and 19 September 2014.
The CIL charges approved by the Examiner include:
- Four strategic development location residential and sheltered housing development charging zones with rates of £300, £320, £340 and £365 per m2.
- A rest of borough residential charge of £365 per m2.
- A rest of borough sheltered housing charge of £150 per m2.
- Residential institutions and extra care housing developments are to be charged £60 per m2.
- Two retail charging zones with rates of £50 and £0 per m2.
- No charge for all other uses.