Peterborough City Council submitted its CIL draft charging schedule for examination. The Council expect for the examination to take place during December 2014 to January 2015 for thhe final adoption of the charging schedule in April 2015.
The preliminary draft CIL had been published by Peterborough City Council on 1 November 2012 for a consultation that ended on 12 December 2012.
The preliminary draft had a higher threshhold of 800 units for a residential development to be considered a strategic development site, and the charge would also be higher at £30 per m2.
For non strategic development sites the preliminary draft charging schedule didn't split residential developments into charging zones and instead had lower rates for residential developments that had made provision for affordable housing via section 106 agreements.
The preliminary draft had rates of £110 per m2 for residential developments that did not provide affordable housing by section 106 agreements and £75 per m2 for residential developments that did.
Apartment developments were also charged based on whether they provided affordable housing with a charge of £10 per m2 for flats that did provide affordable housing and £50 per m2 for those that did not.
The preliminary draft also differed in that it based its charges on type of retail and had a reduced rate of £10 per m2 for city centre retail or small scale developments in district or local centres. Comparison based retail developments would have been charged £175 per m2 and convenience based retail developments would have been charged £400 per m2.
Another difference is that the preliminary draft had an all other development charge of £10 per m2 which was removed from the draft charging schedule.
Peterborough City Council then published their CIL draft charging schedule on 18 August 2014 for a consultation that ended on 15 September 2014. This draft charging schedule is the version that has now been submitted for examination.
Proposed charges in the draft charging schedule include:
- Three charging zones for market housing developments of less that 15 units with rates of £140, £120 and £100 per m2.
- Three charging zones for market housing developments of 15 or more units or apartment developments on sites of less than 15 units with rates of £70, £45 and £15 per m2.
- Strategic site developments of 500 dwellings or more will be charged £15 per m2.
- Supermarket developments will be charged £150 per m2.
- Retail warehouse developments will be charged £70 per m2.
- Neighbourhood convenience shops will be charged £15 per m2.
- No charge for all other uses.