The inspector has concluded that the South Gloucestershire Core Strategy is sound provided that there are modifications made to the plan. The plan will be considered for adoption by the Council on 11 December 2013.
Suggested modifications include:
- Adding a policy that is in favour of sustainable development.
- Changes to housing provision targets and monitoring.
- Alterations to the plan to ensure it is consistant with the NPPF, including changes relating to the viability of schemes , renewable and low carbon energy, sustainability of construction, protection of built and natural assets and provision of affordable housing.
- Policy changes relating to Extra Care Housing and Gypsie and Traveller provision.
- The plan needs to clarify developer contributions and planning obligations.
- Changes to retail and employment policies to relate to local circumstances.
- Clarification of car parking standards and to accept the need to mitigate pressures on the highway network.
- To revise the rural area policies.
- To adjust Green Infrastructure proposals.
- Policies that relate to areas indentified as new neighbourhoods are to be changed to respond to updates.
- Changes to the plan to update it to the council's changed position on Severnside.
- The Council is to revise its approach to Major Infrastructure Projects.
The Core Strategy was submitted for examination on 31 March 2011. The Draft Core Strategy was published in March 2010. A Core Strategy incorporating post submission changes was published in December 2011.