Q: Class A.1 (h) (iii), part 1, schedule 2 of the October 2008 amendments to the General Permitted Development Order 1995 states that a side extension to a house is not permitted development if its width would be greater than half the width of the original dwellinghouse. The Department for Communities and Local Government's August 2010 technical guidance is silent on whether a "half width" extension on each side of a detached house on a large plot would be permitted, thus doubling its width. I do not think that this can be the order's intention, but I would be grateful for your views. KZ

Sign in to continue

Sign in

Trouble signing in?

Reset password: Click here


Call: 020 8267 8121


  • 14 days access to subscriber-only content



Prices from £350 /pa*

  • Full access to for 12 months with quarterly print issues
  • Track the latest CIL developments with our live table
  • Easily keep up-to-date with the essential planning news, analysis, and policy amendments by having it delivered directly to you with the Planning Daily bulletin

Choose a Package

*For bespoke corporate packages please email or call us on 01452 835820.