The building was a substantial arts and crafts house dating from 1903 designed by a noted architect. The outbuildings were on a lower terrace and provided sitting and dining accommodation, with a kitchen in one building overlooking the pool and a changing area in the other. They were finished in shiplap boarding with clay tile roofs.
The inspector considered that the grounds close to the house contributed significantly to its quality and made a positive contribution to the heritage asset. By contrast, he judged that the design of the two outbuildings failed to appreciate the importance of the setting and the contribution the openness of the terrace made to the house.
In his view, they were substantial intrusions into the open and almost subservient setting with their brash and incongruous plan forms. They were unacceptably close to the house and too dominant, he concluded. They showed no understanding of the history or layout of the property and its gardens, he found.
DCS Number 100-069-436
Inspector Stuart Reid; Inquiry