The church was almost 500 years old but its tower had been added in the 16th century, the main body rebuilt in 1780 and further alterations and additions made in the 19th century. This series of alterations meant the building had embraced change and they formed a significant part of its special architectural interest, the inspector held.
The scheme would not require any slates to be removed, he noted. While it was inescapable that the panels would appear as a modern addition to the roof, he considered that they would simply represent a further change in the building's evolution over time. He decided that the proposal would not harm its historic interest or the character of the conservation area.
DCS Number 100-068-987
Inspector Paul Griffiths; Written representations.