Revised planning guidance on noise includes new sections on how the 'agent of change' principle can be managed in the planning process, with clarification that the principle applies to areas near airports and advice on how noise from aviation activities and airport expansion can be mitigated.
Legally-binding noise limits, a green infrastructure "loop" and a fund for community projects are among the proposed measures to mitigate the impacts of Heathrow Airport's planned expansion revealed in a consultation this week.
Planners will help to "set the vision" to deliver the government's new 2050 net zero emissions target with the built environment offering some of the biggest opportunities to cut emissions, commentators have predicted.
Heathrow Airport Ltd launched a statutory consultation on 18 June on its proposals to build a third runway and associated infrastructure. It is called "statutory" because it is required under the Planning Act 2008, which created the consenting system for nationally significant infrastructure projects, before an application can be made.
Headlines earlier this month such as 'Heathrow third runway gets go-ahead from Chris Grayling' (Guardian) and 'Heathrow expansion gets green light from government as transport secretary Chris Grayling hails "historic moment"' (City AM) may have given you the impression that construction was now able to start on the new runway.
The government has taken an important step by publishing its airports national policy statement (NPS), supporting the construction of a third runway at Heathrow.
It looks like 2017 is going to be a turbulent year as decisions taken in 2016 come to fruition, but is there any certainty in nationally significant infrastructure projects (NSIPs) coming forwards?
- Head of Planning Policy and Strategy London Borough of Bromley Bromley (London Borough), London (Greater)
- Specialists Development Management (Planning) South Somerset District Council Yeovil, Somerset
- Assistant Planning Manager (50% Part-Time) CPRE Lancashire Lancashire
- Planning Director | Coventry area | East / South / West Midlands background | Equity role Lewis Davey Near Coventry
- Town Planner (Rural Projects) | Cirencester | 2+ years’ experience preferred Lewis Davey Cirencester