Nine things you need to know about this week's consultation on housing need, including an 'ambition' to publish a revised National Planning Policy Framework by Spring 2018, proposals to strengthen cross-boundary planning, changes intended to streamline viability assessments and plans to make section 106 agreements more transparent.1 comment
The publication earlier this month of the details of the government's proposed standard methodology for assessing housing need immediately prompted warnings that the formula would lead to the loss of land from the green belt.1 comment
The government's proposed approach to assessing housing need means that the outputs of its proposed formula could change dramatically during the preparation of a local plan, an analysis by Planning indicates.
Click through to view an interactive map showing how the outputs of the government's proposed standard methodology for assessing housing need would differ from current assessments of local need.
The delay to the promised consultation draft of the National Planning Policy Framework has set back plans to introduce a standard method for local housing need assessments.
Responses to the government's proposed standard approach to assessing local housing need have welcomed the proposal as enabling a speedier process of plan preparation, but there are concerns that it fails to take account of aspirations for economic growth in parts of the country.
Observers are concerned that in some areas the combination of falling population projections and the outputs of the government's proposals standard formula for assessing housing need could assist those authorities that want to reduce their housing targets.1 comment
- Senior Town Planner - (Reading) Osborne Richardson Reading, Berkshire
- Senior Planning Officer Hart District Council Hampshire
- Senior Planning Officer x2 (Policy and Infrastructure) Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council Basingstoke, Hampshire
- Head of Planning – Development Management and Planning Policy Eastbourne Borough Council Lewes, East Sussex
- Principal Planning and Development Officer x 4 Islington Council Islington, London (Greater)