News and in-depth analysis of urban regeneration for town planners, including physical regeneration, community renewal and economic development.
Sign up for the Regeneration & Economic Development email news bulletin from Regen.net.Page Title RSS feed
While responsibility for fire safety does not lie with the planning system, planning committee members are nevertheless seeking extra assurances from applicants that tall building proposals are safe following last week's horrific blaze at the Grenfell Tower in west London.
Heritage body Historic England is to roll out its Heritage Action Zones initiative and has asked for partnerships across the country to come forward with proposals for new designations with 'a particular focus' on housing.
The worst of a few has brought out the best in many. As stories of bravery and self-sacrifice in the teeth of the terrorist attacks in London emerge, so the tribute candles flicker, flowers wilt, all are cleared and life goes on. As, of course, it must.
It's now nearly two decades since architect Richard Rogers started the study that produced the concept of urban renaissance.
I recently watched two films with placemaking themes. The first was Citizen Jane, the story of community activist Jane Jacobs' successful 1960s campaign against New York city planner Robert Moses' proposals for the destruction of Manhattan through large-scale demolition. The second, A Moving Image, based on the Reclaim the Streets protests in Brixton in 1998, asked intelligent questions about gentrification.
- Senior Compliance and Enforcement Officer Basingstoke and Deane Borough Council Basingstoke, Hampshire
- Senior Planning Policy Officer Isle of Wight Council Newport, Isle of Wight
- Senior Housing Delivery Officer Isle of Wight Council Newport, Isle of Wight
- Planning Officer - Graduate/Officer/Senior/Principal Isle of Wight Council Newport, Isle of Wight
- Planning Inspector (Planning Enforcement Team) Westminster City Council City Hall, 64 Victoria Street, SW1E 6QP