The Planning for Housing conference took place on Tuesday 22 September 2015. The event brought together key players from both the public and private sectors to discuss ways the planning system can tackle the housing crisis.
Planning for Housing 2015 News
Housing supply and its link to planning is 'unmitigated disaster area', former business secretary Sir Vince Cable has said.1 comment
Plans to expand the fast-track planning regime to include mixed-use schemes with an 'element' of housing is likely to involve the government lifting restrictions preventing temporary worker accommodation from being converted to permanent homes, an infrastructure planning expert has said.
The Planning Inspectorate's group manager for planning has moved to debunk the view that developers can enjoy a presumption in favour of approval in instances where a council does not have a five-year housing land supply.4 comments
Sub-regions embarking on Strategic Housing Market Area Assessments (SHMAAs) should organise roundtable events for interested parties at an early stage of the process, experts have advised.
Councils should consider working together to draw up shared viability policies to help them 'wrestle back' control of the viability issue, an expert on the subject has told Planning's Planning for Housing conference.
Section 106 planning agreements are expected to be the main means through which the government's Starter Homes policy is given effect, a top civil servant said today.2 comments
Resource shortages in local authority planning departments could pose obstacles in putting local development orders (LDOs) in place to help deliver new homes, the annual Planning for Housing conference heard today.
A senior executive at the UK's largest housebuilder has said the firm is open to sharing more viability data with councils.
Substantial improvements to the housing market will be a top priority for government over the next five years, and devolution bids must recognise a need to increase housing supply, the minister for local growth and the Northern Powerhouse has said.
Councils require clearer guidance on methods to assess housing land supply, a conference has been told.
- Principal Planning Officer East Riding of Yorkshire Council Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire
- Principal Urban Design Officer (Development Management and Strategic Planning) London Borough of Sutton Carshalton, Sutton
- Senior Planning Enforcement Officer London Borough of Sutton Location - Environment, Housing and Regeneration Offices, 24 Denmark Road, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 2JG
- Planning Director Jane Pye Associates Buckinghamshire
- Senior Planner (Development Management) Richmond and Wandsworth Councils Richmond upon Thames, London (Greater)