1. Simon Ricketts Described as "quietly spoken yet forceful", Ricketts' reputation rests on complex mixed-use schemes and dispute resolution. He has helped secure approval for Quintain's North Western Lands scheme at Wembley and is now promoting the 4,250-home Lubbesthorpe scheme in Leicestershire. Elsewhere, he is involved in legal issues surrounding High Speed 2, the Thames Tideway Tunnel and London's Crossrail.
2. Michael Gallimore Rated highly for his "air of authority and approachable manner", Gallimore is involved in a range of developments with an emphasis on regeneration projects. He acts for the Olympic Park Legacy Company on its work at Olympic Park in east London and for Argent on its regeneration plans for King's Cross. He is also working for Helioslough on rail freight interchanges in Hertfordshire and South Yorkshire.
3. Tim Smith Hailed as a "brilliant negotiator", Smith focuses on retail, office, regeneration and infrastructure projects. Clients include Land Securities on sites in London's Victoria Street, Westfield Shoppingtowns on its Westfield London scheme and Grosvenor Properties on a compensation claim against Crossrail at Bond Street. He is also defending a Taylor Wimpey housing scheme in Llanelli against judicial review.
4. Ian Ginbey Ginbey's reputation for "tenacity and thorough preparation" has been enhanced by his role in piloting CALA Homes' challenge to the Government's plans to abolish regional strategies through three court battles in the past year. Ginbey's practice ranges from infrastructure projects, such as the proposed expansion of London Southend Airport, to large-scale retail and residential proposals.
5. Matthew White Regarded as "meticulous and well organised", White's practice has a particular focus on nationally significant energy and infrastructure projects, including EDF Energy's Hinkley Point and Sizewell nuclear power stations, and complex mixed-use schemes. These include the next phase of the Stratford City development in east London and Hammerson's Principal Place housing and office scheme in Hackney.
More from The Guide to Planning Lawyers 2011-12