She heads a list of professionals from the planning sector to be recognised in the first of this year’s honours lists.
Sporle said: "To be awarded a CBE is a great honour and one which I am delighted to receive.
"I see this as recognition of the hard work that all staff in the Planning Inspectorate have undertaken in recent years to shape the Inspectorate into the professional organisation it is today".
Caroline Burden, former head of planning at the Government Office for the North-East was given an OBE in the list, along with Alison Quant, president of the Assoication of Directors of Environment, Economy Planning and Transport.
Planning professionals recognised in the New Year’s honours list include:
- Ian Brown, managing director, London Rail, at Transport for London
- Keith Clarke, chief executive of WS Atkins
- Peter Head, director at Arup
- Robert Napier, chairman, Homes and Communities Agency
- Katrine Sporle, chief executive of the Planning Inspectorate,
- Carole Souter, chief executive of the National Heritage Memorial Fund and Heritage Lottery Fund
- Mark Bensted, former London director at British Waterways.
- Caroline Burden, former head of planning at the Government Office for the North-East
- Elizabeth Cartwright, chairwoman of the regional housing board, Hampshire
Alliance for Rural Affordable Housing
- Jean Dent, former director of city development, Leeds City Council
- Stephen Hale, former director, Green Alliance
- Trevor Hursthouse, chairman of the Specialist Engineering Contractors' Group.
- Alison Quant, president of the Association of Directors of Environment, Economy Planning and Transport
- Jane Halestrap, senior executive officer, eco towns programme team, Department for Communities and Local Government
Have you registered with us yet?
Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletinsSign up now