Transport secretary Chris Grayling has signalled that the timetable for designating the policy statement that will guide the planning decision on Heathrow's third runway has slipped, with a vote in the House of Commons now expected 'in the first half of 2018'.
The publication of a draft version of the first National Infrastructure Assessment (NIA) is likely to slip to the autumn, a senior official at the government's infrastructure advisory body has said.
Plans have been approved for a new 2.2-kilometre mass transit system linking Luton Airport Parkway rail station with Luton Airport after planners concluded that the scheme would provide a 'fast and seamless connection' between the station and airport.
It looks like 2017 is going to be a turbulent year as decisions taken in 2016 come to fruition, but is there any certainty in nationally significant infrastructure projects (NSIPs) coming forwards?
This week's announcement that the government will support a third runway at Heathrow airport signals that, although there has been a slowdown in infrastructure projects, those that are coming forward are getting bigger.
Picture the scene. The Prime Minister has announced that a new flagship hub airport is to be built in north Kent. Flanked by transport secretary Chris Grayling, she walked across derelict land on the Isle of Grain in a scene reminiscent of the Thatcher 'walk in the wilderness' on Teesside some 30 years ago.
We can all see tactical political calculations in government pushing back the Heathrow runway expansion decision beyond the London mayoral elections in May.
- Team Leader Development Management Christchurch and East Dorset Councils Christchurch, Dorset
- Principal Planning Officer (2 posts) Development Management Christchurch and East Dorset Councils Christchurch, Dorset
- Major Planning Projects Officer (2 posts) Development Management Christchurch and East Dorset Councils Christchurch, Dorset
- Senior Planning Project Officer East Herts Council Hertfordshire
- Deputy Head of Planning Services Gosport Borough Council Gosport Hampshire