Plans have been approved for a new 34,000 square metre arrivals building at Stansted Airport in Essex.
Plans have been approved for up to 350 homes on land at Durham Tees Valley Airport after planners concluded that, with appropriate mitigation measures in place, the existing airport would not have an adverse impact upon future residents.
The government has said it will not progress work on proposals to reinstate several rail links in the South East or construct a new rail link between the Sussex coast, Canary Wharf and Stansted, but has suggested that local areas could develop the plans if they accept 'significant additional local housing and commercial development'.1 comment
It looks like 2017 is going to be a turbulent year as decisions taken in 2016 come to fruition, but is there any certainty in nationally significant infrastructure projects (NSIPs) coming forwards?
This week's announcement that the government will support a third runway at Heathrow airport signals that, although there has been a slowdown in infrastructure projects, those that are coming forward are getting bigger.
Picture the scene. The Prime Minister has announced that a new flagship hub airport is to be built in north Kent. Flanked by transport secretary Chris Grayling, she walked across derelict land on the Isle of Grain in a scene reminiscent of the Thatcher 'walk in the wilderness' on Teesside some 30 years ago.
We can all see tactical political calculations in government pushing back the Heathrow runway expansion decision beyond the London mayoral elections in May.
- Principal Planning Officer East Riding of Yorkshire Council Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire
- Principal Urban Design Officer (Development Management and Strategic Planning) London Borough of Sutton Carshalton, Sutton
- Senior Planning Enforcement Officer London Borough of Sutton Location - Environment, Housing and Regeneration Offices, 24 Denmark Road, Carshalton, Surrey, SM5 2JG
- Planning Director Jane Pye Associates Buckinghamshire
- Senior Planner Pegasus East Midlands Region